Friday, April 13, 2007

Stomach virus...yuck!

Yes, our sweet Karis has a stomach virus. This morning, we were met with a yucky mess when I went to get her out of her crib. So, Dee started our first load of laundry today at 7:30am. She took about 3oz of formula, then slept for about 2 1/2 hours immediately after she ate, which is unusual. Other than the mess and the sleeping (and the doctor's visit), she has acted really happy, playing and talking/cooing, and smiling a lot. You would never know she's sick.

And again, my little girl teaches me a lesson. I made the comment to my mom this morning, "She's the happiest sick baby I've seen." Mom reminded me, it's not like babies think, "Oh, I'm sick." They just know when it hurts and when it doesn't. It made me think of how many negative emotions and anxieties I have just from thinking about my situation, whether it's sickness, events of the day, or the most popular one in the Lanier house, lack of $. Karis only frets or cries when she is actually experiencing discomfort, not in the anticipation of it. And you know, my fretting and her lack of it doesn't change the outcome of events. So her sick day is much more enjoyable than mine would be, because she at least plays and is happy in the waning of her symptoms. The only thing that can change the events of my life or my emotions about it is the grace and work of the Lord. So, instead of being anxious or miserable, why not pray? That is the only means that He gives us to change things, not my emotions or thoughts. And then I can rest in HIS wisdom and not my own. I can trust His way instead of me trying to figure out what to do! Then no matter what happens, I can be completely secure and happy in Him!!

Oh the lessons of motherhood!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry Karis is sick. We've (meaning Emma) had the stomach virus over here the last few days as well! It's no fun! And let me just say that Emma was a MUCH better sick baby than she is a sick toddler!! :)

Unknown said...

Sigh. I'm deep in thought right now too, thanks to your insight. That's good perspective...if only I can learn to apply it!

Unknown said...

Well, just to reiterate my point, I now have the stomach virus, and yes, Karis is better sick than I am!