Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tis Now, but what about later?

This morning in church, we sang a great old hymn "If ever I loved thee, my Jesus tis now" I was really worshiping and experiencing the Lord, then we got to this verse...

Ill love The in life, I will love Thee in death

And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath
And say, when the death dew lies cold on my brow
If ever I loved Thee my Jesus tis now

Oh, it so moved me. I am not on death's bed nor admittedly, do I think about death often at a young age and good health. But I have known those who have died in Christ. I quickly thought of our dear friend Linda Longbrook and just cried in worship to the Lord and thankfulness for her and the life she lived. She was not perfect, but she did live a God-honoring life. And she died a God-honoring death. God did lend her breath for many healthy years and He lent her breath during the years she fought cancer. And the death dew did come and it did lie on her brow and that dew did grow cold. She died a God-honoring death, a Christ-exalting death. She loved Jesus so much in her fight and though her body lost, her soul found victory that day! May I live a God-honoring life that shows "'my Jesus I love Thee". And may I die a death like Linda - that exalts Christ and shows my intense love for Jesus as I finally see Him face to face!
Amen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great hymn! I can't remember the last time I sang it and was especially moved by that verse too. My thoughts went toward people who haven't died, but have experienced death close to them...specifically miscarriages...and have still loved Jesus. Thanks for honoring Linda...she truly didn't waste her life, her cancer or her death.

Spirit of Adoption said...

Amen, sister! That song also moved me yesterday. I was moved with the part of being in heaven - if ever I love Thee, my Jesus tis now! Ohhhhhhh....heaven, I long for where I will love Him perfectly and sin shall be NO MORE!

Unknown said...

Amen to both of you!
Amen!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this. it's a hard day today, being her birthday. and it'll be another hard day tomorrow, being the one year mark.