Friday, May 23, 2008

Ever Been There?

Have you ever been in that place where you're the new one in the group? You feel awkward, don't really know what to say. You want someone to talk to you, but don't know what to talk about. Ok, ok, I'm talking about myself. Dee & I went to a community group for the first time at the church we've been attending for the last couple months. It really was good and we enjoyed it. They passed out paper and pens and asked everyone to write down a question or topic to discuss. It could be about anything. I could NOT think of anything to write. So I didn't. I know that sounds lame, but I couldn't get away from the thoughts in my head. What's this group like? How do they interact? Are there Christians or non-Christians? In that setting, I tend to get really quiet.

I hate that awkward feeling. But it's required to get to know new people, right?

7 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

that sounds vaugely familiar! ha!!

glad ya'll got to go! i know the Lord is going to use ya'll there! what did Dee write?

Unknown said...

UGh...all too familiar...

Unknown said...

yeah, shawnda, dee went all out there of course with a controversial question of "should Christian vote for Obama?"
no one really answered. dee doesn't have a strong opinion on this...he's just heard different views on it and wanted to discuss it. the other questions were a little serious too.

Nicole said...

I could have written this same post about the same meeting (even not being able to think of a question!)! ;-)

Anonymous said...

So should Christians vote for Obama?

Unknown said...

hi anonymous,
dee's blog has a more thorough response to your question.
www.crosscultured.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Stacy,
First of all I love the honesty that you write with. I think you should take that same honesty into your new church visits and community group stuff! Be yourself, be real! What do you have to lose? :) Can't wait to hang out!