Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How do you respond...

when someone makes a racist comment? I'm not talking about on TV or overheard in the grocery store. I mean in a direct conversation with you and they say it like of course you would agree. I had that happen yesterday. I have noticed that since I married Dee, no one really says anything about blacks anymore. But that doesn't stop them from making really derogatory comments about Hispanics. I feel just as offended when I hear it. I don't have a relationship with anyone right now that is Hispanic, but I feel more sensitive to minorities in general since marrying Dee. It seems (in my unresearched opinion) that a lot of Southerners are conscious of racism against blacks and are more careful about their words. However, there is much freedom in comments against "Mexicans". Because that is the term used for ALL people of Hispanic origin. Dee has even told me that on the west coast, "Hispanic" is not really an accepted term, but you should say "Latino" instead. I have had several instances where people I know make very negative comments about them, saying that they are uneducated, dirty, don't take care of their children, and are here to "take over". AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! I want to confront it when I hear it, but I really don't know how to do it with a balance of firm clarity and gentleness. Do you ever deal with this?

2 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

The place where I deal with it the most is with my family : ( I hear it all the time from them. It's so hard, Stacey (esp. with unbelievers!!)!!! I know we've talked about it before, but we should talk about it again. Thanks for bringing it to the table! Love you!

Dawn S. said...

This is a tough one...if it happens a lot I would come up with a "pat" response, or better yet, perhaps let the comment just hang in the air and be its ugly self.