Thursday, May 07, 2009

When I was in full-time ministry, I struggled with the pride of believing I could change people, sinfully thinking if I could just get enough time with them and say the right words, they would live differently, think differently, be different. Lately I feel almost the exact opposite. The circumstances that people around me are in are so heavy and they seem so deep that I feel inept at speaking to it at all. Some of that is an appropriate growth in my heart and understanding that only the Lord brings change in people and their lives and some of it points to the severity and depth of the situations I am around right now. All I feel confident to do is pray and wait and love them through it. It's so hard.
From friends stuck in sin and addicted to their idols to young students living in such destructive lifestyles to marriages being ravaged by infidelity to abusive relationships to a friend losing a baby at 18 weeks in their pregnancy and having to go through labor and delivery to a friend going through the grief of losing her mom. There is so much pain, seen and unseen. What do you say? What do you do?
Pray...love...wait, and trust that only the LORD can speak to places of deep sin and deep pain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking for weeks on how to articulate a lot of this into some kind of a cohesive post, but now I don't have to. It's basically this! Glad you wrote it, and thanks for sharing with us mush brain people. See? You don't have baby brain!