Friday, March 30, 2007

Prayer Request

From Dee:

Hey all,
I want to request that you pray for a student that goes to my school. His name is DeAndre, and I occasionally give him a ride the second half of his commute to school, whenever I see him walking up the road while I'm driving. Our time is brief, but I typically listen to a sermon or the ESV audio in the mornings, but I always get my MP3 player ready to switch fast to some Cross Movement just in case I see DeAndre. Well, he definitely likes the beats, and asks me questions all of the time about why I listen to Christian rap versus, "violent rap" (his term). We get around 5 mins during our quick trip up the road maybe twice a week. The conversation is not very fluid because he is in speech therapy and can be pretty hard to understand at times, and I have to ask him to repeat himself often. The other day he asked when did I started listening to Christian hip-hop, and why did I start listening to it. I proceeded to tell him that 10 years ago I prayed to receive Christ, that I told God that I believe His Son died for me, and that I wanted to stop resisting Him. I then told him that it was shortly after that God began changing my desires, and that included what I listened to. As DeAndre was getting out of the car, without flinching, and with the clearest speech he replied, "I like violent rap. I like shooting and sex. That's what I like." Door closes, and he's off to class. Can you pray for him, and that I would faithfully continue to pursue him? Thanks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Dee. I'm still amazed at how influential hip hop is with the younger generation especially. Every time Josh gets in a conversation about it with a kid it goes deep with them...like it's their food in a way. I will pray for him. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Nicole said...

I'll pray for him and your time with him!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was thinking this week about our birthday celebrations this time last year...sweet memories with our small groupies!